Experts in Arthritis (EIA) — Free public education for people with arthritis and people who care about them — New and Updated
The U.S. Bone and Joint Initiative is pleased to announce the new and improved version of Experts in Arthritis. Hundreds of sessions have been presented to community gatherings across the US. Let us know if you would like to receive a presentation by an expert in the management of arthritis. Healthcare providers — if you would like to offer it in your community, live, by webinar, or videoconference, let us know.
Experts in Arthritis, which provides guidance to people with arthritis and those who care about them, has a new look and feel, with enhanced content on managing pain and fatigue. Designed to encourage discussion between expert presenters and participants, there is greater focus on addressing the most common concerns of people with arthritis and maximizing retention of the educational messages. Experts in Arthritis has always primarily been designed for presentation at live community gatherings. Because of COVID-19 the USBJI is offering webinar and videoconference presentations, led by a local expert on arthritis, so community centers, senior centers and other organizations can continue to offer this important education activity to their members while at home. Some of the messages are particularly relevant at this time, as people are confined and unable to exercise and move around as freely as they would be normally.
Experts in Arthritis and accompanying materials are provided at no cost, and come with a ready-made slide set, Presentation Guide, handouts, and logistical support. Link to downloadable recorded PowerPoint Presentation: Experts in Arthritis
The presentation is structured around four main modules:
- Module 1: What is Arthritis? Types and Symptoms
- Module 2: Taking Control—The Concept of Self-Management
- Module 3: Different Aspects of Taking Control
- What Does Self-Management Look Like?
- Finding Ways to Control Symptoms: Pain, Fatigue, Sleep, Emotion
- Physical Activity and Exercise
- Good Nutrition
- Being Judicious with Supplements and Alternative Medicines
- Educating Those Around You
- Module 4: You and Your Healthcare Provider, Treatment and Shared Decision-Making, and Take-Home Messages