About the Program
Experts in Arthritis sessions typically last 60-90 minutes. They can be held at a local public library, community center, church, senior center, health/fitness club, hospital, clinic, or workplace. A patient advocate and healthcare professional and possibly other experts, team up to present the program. The session features a PowerPoint presentation, discussion, and question/answer period. Collateral patient education materials about arthritis are provided. The program can be adapted to large or small audiences, with everyone taking part in one combined question and answer session, or, where larger numbers warrant, separate breakout sessions address specific diagnoses. Prepared presentations and all materials are supplied.
- What You Can Do to Manage Your Arthritis.
- Practical Strategies to Take Control of Arthritis.
- The Role of the Patient in Disease management.
- The Role of Nutrition and Exercise in Disease management.
Question and Answer Sessions with experts in arthritis that addresses clinical information and current best research evidence on:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Juvenile Arthritis
By the end of an Experts in Arthritis session participants will be able to:
- Describe methods to self-manage their arthritis so they can live their lives to the fullest.
- Discuss current knowledge on scientific treatments related to medication, exercise, diet, and other management strategies.
Key Messages/Participants will learn how:
- Managing arthritis involves teamwork: The patient is the leader of the team assisted by the primary care physician and other healthcare specialists.
- Self-management provides control of the disease through: understanding the nature and progression of arthritis; knowledge of how to reduce pain while remaining active; effective physical, mental, and emotional coping strategies; confidence in the ability to live an active independent life.
- Diet, vitamins and minerals can affect weight, pain, and emotion.
- Exercise reduces pain and stiffness, increases flexibility and endurance, and raises sprits and self-esteem.